Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Is Osama bin Laden an alcoholic?

Tonight I saw the movie United 93. As I left the theatre, I felt both shaken and stirred. It's been nearly five years, and I have something to say....

Consider this hypothesis. Osama bin Laden has alcoholism and is not in recovery.

Active, abstinent, binge, god knows which kind....

The idea occurred to me after reading Doug Thorburn's Alcoholism Myths and Realities, given bin Laden's destructive, controlling, ego-inflated behavior. Adam Robinson's Bin Laden: Behind the Mask of the Terrorist corroborates it. Thorburn writes, Recovery requires abstinence and ego deflation. Without both, good solid recovery in which behaviors markedly improve is impossible. (p. 12)

I'm not an expert on alcoholism. Might Hazelden, Talbott, or Sierra Tucson invite him for a month's stay? I don't know. But it's an idea. Family week might get a bit busy.


Update (Aug 1, 2007):
I am currently reading Lawrence Wright's Pulitzer Prize winning book The Looming Tower: Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11. Wright does not support this hypothesis.

No comments: